Shabby Miss Jenn

Monday, September 01, 2008

Back to School!

I know, I'm the lamest mother on earth. Yes, the first day of school was over a week ago and I'm not posting about it until now. Because I was enjoying all the peace and quiet around here!!!!! Wahooooo!

We got home from Galveston last Sunday - oh yeah, I never posted about that! We went to Galveston for a couple of days with the Hopewell side of the fam. Fun trip! (pictures to come someday. . . maybe) So anyway, we got back from Galveston and had just enough time to unpack feed the children a healthy dinner of Skittles and popcorn (gotta love those Smith family traditions!) and have a little family home evening of Father's Blessings. Josh and I both did this in our families every year before school started and I think it's a wonderful tradition. I'm so glad we're doing it too. Cash even had to get one and he sat there with his arms folded and his eyes scrunched closed the WHOLE time. Sooooooo cute! After our dinner and blessings we got the stinky kids into the tub/shower and into bed early so they could get up early the next morning. They were both so excited that I think they were up before us - kinda like Christmas.

They got all dressed in their new clothes, ate breakfast quickly and then we all headed out the door to school.



We missed Meet the Teacher Night since we went to Galveston but we knew that Ryley's teacher was Mrs. Leslie - the same teacher Maddie had for kindergarten so I wasn't too stressed about Ryley not meeting his teacher before the first day. He already knew her! Maddie's new teacher is Mrs. Graham.

They both went into class and found their seats and were perfectly fine. No tears or anything, not that I expected them though. They're good, strong kids and I'm pretty sure that going to school was WAY better than staying home and fighting with each other (like they'd been doing all summer!)

Cash and I went home and did absolutely nothing for the rest of the day! Yippee!!!! Josh was a little miffed when he got home though since the sink was still full of dirty dishes and I hadn't gone to the grocery store, which we DESPERATELY needed! Oh well. I deserve a break every now and then don't I?

The kids are still loving school. Cash is definitely loving having me all to himself and being the center of attention all day. I must say that it's a little harder being his only playmate but I love hanging out with him - he's my good buddy.

5 comments:

Caitlin said...

I remember being that excited for school when I was that age -- I could barely go to sleep the night before! Boy, did that change!

Your kids are simply much too big. It's time for Emily, Jeni.

Brianne said...

Ha ha ha... Caitlin is right! They look so cute and excited in these pictures. I'm happy that you've regained your sanity. Let's go party while Ben's at preschool!

www.thesinglelifeofastudentwife.blogspot.com said...

Love it love it love it!! It is hard hanging out with the youngest. I'm so lame, I spent my entire time alone with Bergen talking to my mom on the phone :). Anyways, glad the kids are enjoying school! I can't believe Ryley's in KINDERGARTEN! HOLY COW! That flew by!

Sandi said...

A day off??? EVERYONE deserves a day off - more often than once in a while. Glad you had a good day. It's so good the kids are doing good. Enjoy!
BTW, who's Emily???

Jeni said...

Sandi - Josh had a dream (6 weeks after Cash was born!!!) that our next baby would be a girl and her name would be Emily. Caitlin's referring to this long awaited and unborn child - which will probably remain that way for a LOOOOOONG time since I'd rather poke my eyes out than be pregnant!!!! Besides, it's her turn to have a kid!