and I'm a fontaholic. I'll admit it. I'm addicted. But in hopes of decreasing the number of fonts I download, I've recently decided to make my own instead! So that's what I've been doing lately - making fonts. LOTS of fonts. I dabbled in it a little bit a year or so ago and made one of my handwriting and one of Brianne's. I uploaded Brianne's to Dafont.com thinking that no one would really care since there are millions of other really cute fonts on there but that has not been the case! Brianne's Hand has seriously taken off! I think it's because she wrote it out in a Sharpie and there aren't a lot of fonts that look handwritten in marker so it's become hugely popular. But not with just regular people. I've gotten quite a few emails over the last year from people/companies wanting to use it commercially. So far it's been published in a book (some very weird and obscure sci-fi novel, but a book nonetheless!) on the packaging of some soybean granola bar, some posters in Germany, and most recently and definitely the most public - TXU! An advertising agency working for TXU asked if they could use the font for some billboards in the DFW area and I said sure. I also asked her if she wouldn't mind letting me know where the billboards are in DFW since I live here and really wanted to see one. After they were all done she told me where one was in Dallas but it was kind of far away and I didn't have a chance to go see it before we left for Colorado. Much to my surprise though we drove right by one just outside of Wichita Falls!
So apparently the billboards are all over Texas! I saw the billboard on the way to Colorado and honked like crazy to Brianne who was in the car ahead of me but she never heard me (cuz she's a speed demon!) so I couldn't pull over and get a pic of it. But I knew we'd be driving by it on the way back home and totally made Josh get off the highway and turn the car around so I could get a picture of it. He's a good husband and didn't mind though. He's even found a couple more billboards in all his travels around the metroplex and he's stopped to take a picture of them for me. I *heart* him. Here's one he found:
So as if that's not exciting enough, when we get home from Colorado we're watching TV one night and I see my font ON THE TELEVISION! TXU used it to make their commercials too! If you live here you've probably seen them - the ones with all the people holding up white signs with my font all over them!!! I comes on a lot during the news in the morning or evening on Channel 8 but I've seen it on other channels as well. It's also on their website now too!
I know it's probably not very exciting to you but to Brianne and I it is. We're such nerds. :)
I've had a couple of more requests for commercial use of Brianne's Hand since then too. I don't know what yet but the people all said they'd let me know after they were done. I hope they do!
Sadly, I haven't been able to make any money off of Brianne's Hand though. When I bought the font making software I used to make it I didn't buy the professional version (the seriously over-priced professional version!) So I'm not able to sell that font only give it away. But since it's been such a huge hit I decided to invest a little money into the professional version and make fonts to sell. I recently started a handwriting font making service at my ScrapMatters store, and if you're interested in getting your handwriting made into a font you can check out my crafty blog (link's over there in the sidebar.) You can also check out all the fonts I've made too and download Brianne's Hand and Jeni's Print for free from my crafty blog as well.




5 comments:
That is so cool!
I still have the papers I made for you to do my handwriting ages ago, and one of them is sharpie too! :)however, my handwriting, regardless of the implement used is chickenscratch. Or Amyscratch. :)But I really want it for my digital pages. I should get those to you. Hmmm wonder where they are.
My famous sisters. I wonder how I inherited ugly chicken scratch.
I guess, technically, Taylor can no longer say he's the only one that's been published. :)
how exciting!!
I love it :)
You're so cool!! That's awesome!
That is very cool. I'm glad someone else shares my love for fonts! Can't wait to look at your website!
Post a Comment