It has been CRAZY cold here lately with snow and ice and freezing wind. Last week school was canceled for 4 days straight (well, not ours - much to Maddie and Ryley's chagrin!) and it was canceled again yesterday. The roads were really bad last week, so Josh couldn't even get out of our driveway to go to work let alone climb on someone's roof! So nothing really changed around here except that we had lots of time with Daddy. Yay! He was definitely ready to go back on Monday, but I think he secretly enjoyed being able to stay home and read "Fablehaven" with us. The kids and I finished off Book One about two weeks ago and the ice storm hit right when we were starting Book Two so Josh got to listen in right from the beginning. He ended up reading most of the book to us!
We finished up Book Two last night in record time, mostly because Josh wanted to finish it before he had to go back to work today. The kids loved him reading to us for a change since Daddy does funny voices and adds in extra silly sentences to keep them on their toes. Mommy never does anything fun like that. :P
We have really been loving this series. Usually I only read a chapter a day to the kids while they're eating lunch, but since Josh has been home we've been reading at lunch, for a while after lunch, and then again during dinner and after dinner for a couple of hours. Yes, a couple of hours!! Even Cash has been begging to read it - usually he just tolerates it. :) It has been really nice to just sit together and not have the TV on. (*Gasp* - did I just say that?!) I also love that these books are super clean, have good lessons and values in them and they're pretty funny. There are also a lot of good vocabulary words in them (even Josh and I have had to look up a few!) And, they come with reading guides in the back of the book that have led to some good family discussions. I would highly recommend these books to families with older kids like ours.
Now, to go make lunch and start Book Three!




3 comments:
I have heard really good things about the Fablehaven series...I'll have to borrow the first one from you. It's funny that you posted this today because I was just thinking earlier this morning about how I should start reading "chapter books" to the boys (well, Ben, at least). I'm all ears for suggestions you might have for the younger crowd!
We LOVE the Fablehaven series. What a fun thing to do as a family!
hey, when you're done with fablehaven, try the overlander series :) susanne collins! SOOOO GOOD!
Post a Comment