Shabby Miss Jenn

Thursday, June 07, 2012

Memorial Day

Our ward has a Memorial Day breakfast every year.  It's usually hot and muggy and almost unbearable even at 8 a.m. but this year the weather was perfect!  We had a yummy breakfast and then had a little flag ceremony and program. 

Our Boy Scouts raised the flag.MemorialDay2012-4

We sang a few patriotic hymns.MemorialDay2012-2

A local Veteran came and spoke briefly to us.MemorialDay2012-5

We got to play with friends.MemorialDay2012-3

This guy just walked around being cute.  MemorialDay2012-1 

After the breakfast we headed home and packed a lunch for everyone and then drove down to Dallas to meet Josh's parents for another Memorial.   Josh's Grandad passed away almost 8 years ago and is buried at a cemetery in Dallas.  He was a veteran of WWII and a POW.  Grandpa  brought some things to show the grandkids about Grandad:  his medals, some books that showed the airplane he was a navigator in when the plane was shot down, some of his old yearbooks and other pictures of Grandad and Mimi.  Grandpa told a few stories and then the kids helped him place flags at the gravesite.  MemorialDay2012-6MemorialDay2012-7

I caught this picture of Covey sneaking up on Josh to steal his hat.  He grabbed it and ran right after this.  He thought it was pretty hilarious!MemorialDay2012-10

I don't know how I managed to only get pictures of Sawyer drinking his milk but somehow I did.  I guess that's the only time he's standing still!MemorialDay2012-11 

This little beauty was wide awake!

MemorialDay2012-9 

After we finished up at the cemetery we headed over to a little park and had some lunch with everyone.  It was fun to spend time together.MemorialDay2012-8

We are very thankful for those family members who have served and are still serving our country.  We're thankful for all those who serve our country every day.  Hopefully Josh and I can instill that same gratitude in our children.  I'm glad Grandpa takes the time to plan days like this to help us remember Grandad. 

No comments: