Shabby Miss Jenn

Friday, December 21, 2012

Chinese Lantern Festival

Back in November we went to the Chinese Lantern Festival down at Fair Park.  We actually saw them setting this up when we went to the museum down there with all the cousins but I thought they were taking it down then.  It looked awesome and I was kind of bummed we'd missed it.  Turns out they were setting it up in preparation for the State Fair which probably started the week or so after everyone left.  We never got a chance to go to the State Fair this year and so I was bummed that we'd missed it - again!  But then they extended the lantern show for a few weeks after the State Fair and I knew we needed to make time for it.  We managed to find an open Monday night and headed to downtown Dallas.  Grandma even came with us!

This is Ryley and Cash standing out front of the entrance gate. 

ChineseLantern-1 ChineseLantern-2

We started at the entrance so I'm not sure how we didn't see the things in the proper order but oh well.  ChineseLantern-3ChineseLantern-4ChineseLantern-5ChineseLantern-7     ChineseLantern-6

ChineseLantern-9ChineseLantern-8ChineseLantern-10

ChineseLantern-13ChineseLantern-14  ChineseLantern-12    ChineseLantern-11 ChineseLantern-19ChineseLantern-20 ChineseLantern-15 ChineseLantern-21ChineseLantern-17ChineseLantern-16  ChineseLantern-18 

I found a place to set up my camera on the timer to get a picture of all of us.

ChineseLantern-24  ChineseLantern-29  ChineseLantern-22 ChineseLantern-28

This dragon was amazing!!ChineseLantern-25ChineseLantern-23    ChineseLantern-26

So huge!!ChineseLantern-27 ChineseLantern-30

This section was pretty awesome too!  The other lanterns were made up of fabric but this one was little tiny glass bottles filled with colored liquid.ChineseLantern-31ChineseLantern-33  ChineseLantern-32   ChineseLantern-34

This lotus was out on the little pond they have at Fair Park and opened up.ChineseLantern-35 ChineseLantern-36 ChineseLantern-37 ChineseLantern-38 ChineseLantern-40

Sawyer was totally digging the dinosaurs.  We heard lots of, "Rarr, rarr, rarr, rarr!" from him.  ChineseLantern-39

 ChineseLantern-41 ChineseLantern-42

ChineseLantern-57ChineseLantern-44 ChineseLantern-43

 ChineseLantern-45 ChineseLantern-56ChineseLantern-48ChineseLantern-47ChineseLantern-53ChineseLantern-49ChineseLantern-52 

Just a little perspective on the size of this exhibit.  Here's Cash standing in front of it and he barely clears the frame.  Seriously huge!ChineseLantern-50 ChineseLantern-51   ChineseLantern-54 ChineseLantern-46

Grossed out the kids and made Maddie take a picture for us.  :)ChineseLantern-55  Only at the Chinese Lantern Festival in Texas. . .

ChineseLantern-61  ChineseLantern-58 ChineseLantern-60ChineseLantern-59 

ChineseLantern-63ChineseLantern-62ChineseLantern-64ChineseLantern-66    ChineseLantern-65

 ChineseLantern-68

ChineseLantern-67ChineseLantern-70ChineseLantern-69

And then it was time to leave.  ChineseLantern-71ChineseLantern-72    ChineseLantern-73ChineseLantern-74ChineseLantern-76  

I tried to get a shot of everyone before we left.  I had to overexpose the background so you could see their faces.  ;)

ChineseLantern-75

Walking back to the car and talking about their favorites.  I'm so glad we decided to go to it.  It was definitely worth the wait!ChineseLantern-77

2 comments:

Josh Hopewell said...

I'm glad we went too. The dragon was really cool (I can't imagine having to place all of those plates and tie them in place). It was funny holding the boys up by the dinosaurs and trying to get them wet when they squirted water.

I especially liked the part about us grossing out the kids! I still can't figure out how I ended up with your gum in my mouth, though...

I can't wait to go to China next year!!!

HILL HESS said...

Speechless! I want to go next year!