Shabby Miss Jenn

Thursday, February 13, 2014

Families are Forever

Our first attempt at the Sealing was set to be on December 6, 2013.  Exactly 17 years to the day that Josh and I were Sealed.  We thought that would just be the perfect day!  Well, mother nature had a different idea apparently.  Icemageddon happened and the Temple was closed so we had to move the Sealing to a different day.  We didn’t know when it would be or if we would even be able to get it done in 2013 with Em’s surgery and Christmas.  We decided that even though it would be crazy and some people might not be able to come we should try to do it on the 26th of December.  My little brother and Josh’s sister were both in town for Christmas and they wouldn’t be able to come back here anytime soon so we wanted to squeeze this in before they left.  It was hectic and some good friends weren’t able to be there because of the timing but I’m glad we did it when we did.  We also had a few really good days with Emily before the Sealing and that was such a blessing!  We were all sick during the weeks before, during and after Christmas but the 26th was one day where no one was really sick with high fevers, which was also a huge blessing.  I was worried we were going to have to cancel it again!  

Sealing-4

We had all day together to get ready since it was set for 7 pm.  We needed to be at the Temple by 6 pm so we planned to leave around 5ish.  I was going to do all the girls’ hair nicely (including my own!) and get everyone looking their best.  But for some reason, I had it in my head that we didn’t need to leave until 6 pm.  When 4:45 rolled around Josh and I both realized that we had not been thinking about this correctly and it was a mad rush to get out the door.  No one got their hair done, including me.  I did give the boys haircuts that week so at least they didn’t look like complete ragamuffins.  Can’t say the same for myself, sadly.  Oh well, we all made it and we are a Forever Family now regardless of how awful my hair looks in these pictures.  ;)

Sawyer was the cutest thing I have ever seen in his tiny little white shirt and tie.  I just about lost it when he walked into the Sealing Room.  It was awesome to be with all the kids there.  The younger ones have no idea what a special experience and opportunity it was for them but Maddie, and probably Ryley too, knew.  Maddie was so excited to go. She had been to the Temple for the first time to do baptisms only a few months before this.  Sealing adopted children to their parents is not a common thing, for those participating or for those observing.  It was pretty amazing.

Just for my own record keeping I wanted to jot down those who were able to attend with us: 

My parents (Dad was a witness and Mom was Emily’s helper at the altar)

Brianne (was Grace’s helper at the altar)

Taylor

Bruce and Elisa (Bruce was a witness)

Jessie (Svend was so sweet and stayed in the car with Anders outside the Temple so Jessie could come in with us)

Bruce and Wendy

Ashley

Sarah (right before she left on her mission!)

Hillary and Warren Hess

Natalie and Anthony Joyner

Kinsey and Matt Hayman

Several other family members had gotten sick and couldn’t make it.  :(

Afterwards, we were able to go outside (in the freezing cold!) in our whites to get a few pictures.

Sealing-1

Sealing-2

Sealing-3

It was a very good day except for the puking episode on the way home!  Sawyer totally vomited all over himself and even splashing me in the face all the way up front.  Yeah, it was awesome.  I don’t think it was a bug though.  We all had a late dinner so he was really hungry after leaving the temple and ended up drinking a ton of apple juice at dinner, which I think was the culprit.  He never gets juice at home and I think it just overwhelmed his sensitive little tummy. We got him stripped down in the freezing cold garage and bathed and put to bed and he never puked again.  His carseat had to be completely dismantled and all the fabric pieces taken off and washed.  It was able to hang outside for several days after getting hosed down, thankfully.  Definitely not a night we will soon forget!!

1 comment:

Keri and Neal said...

Congratulations on your family's sealing! Love the details about the mad dash out the door and the puke. Real life!