This all happened so quickly that the baptism seems like a big blur now! I didn't get many pictures because I was running around taking care of everything, and the ones I did get did NOT turn out very good. My flash was giving me fits in the crazy lighting of the church and needless to say, I was a little distracted by other things that night. Here are some of the pictures I did get though.
The ready to be baptized girl. It doesn't look like it in this picture but she was really excited!
Daddy and his girl in their extremely flattering baptism jumpsuits. : ) I'm so grateful for a good husband who honors the Priesthood and is worthy to exercise it. What a sweet moment!
The whole family!
Me and my sweet girl. I still can't believe she's old enough for this!
Now the facts (for my future reference.) Maddie was baptized on Tuesday, August 4, 2009, by her father. Aaron Bass of the bishopric was there to preside and conduct. Granny led the music and Aunt Brianne played the piano. Grandma Hopewell gave the opening prayer and Aunt Jessie gave the closing prayer. Grandpa Hopewell gave a talk on baptism and Pops talked about the Holy Ghost. Maddie and her two friends Lauren B. and Cassidy H. sang the song "Baptism" while doing the sign language for it as a musical number.
Maddie was baptized by Josh while I waited in the wings and bawled my eyes out (shocking, I know.) We quickly got her dressed and then she was confirmed by Josh. To see all the men in that circle was awesome - and almost every one of them was a family member! Josh, Grandpa, Pops, Uncle John Hopewell, Uncle John Hafen, Uncle Bruce Hopewell, Uncle Bruce Tyler, Uncle Svend, and Aaron Bass. ( Think we have enough Bruce's and John's in this family?! Ha!)
The whole Hopewell clan was able to be there including Jessie and Svend and their family. (Thanks for coming to Texas for it guys!) Granny and Pops were there, as well as Brianne and John and the boys (who of course, provided a little comic relief to Pops' talk, but that's a whole 'nother story!) We were sitting on the very front row and I didn't really look around until almost the end. I was surprised to see the room was packed! Thanks for coming everyone!
Maddie's best friend, Cally, and her mom and sister were also able to come. Maddie was thrilled to have her there, and Julie (her mom) was so sweet to help me with serving cake. I don't know what I would have done without her! Speaking of the cake. . . .
One of my friends from High School and actually Aaron Bass' sister, Dd Lewis, owns a cake shop here in town and so I asked her to make a cake for Maddie. She ended up in the hospital (yikes!) and her sister, Rhonda, had to make it instead. She did a beautiful job! Thanks Rhonda!
While I was serving up cake with Julie, Granny and Pops snuck in a picture with Maddie. Thank you Brianne for taking it otherwise I probably would have forgotten to!
I wish I had gotten a picture of just Maddie in her pretty white dress but sadly, I didn't. She made sure that she had her bracelet on that Aunt Mandy made for her too. It was a fabulous night and I am so grateful for this sweet girl we have been blessed with. I just wish she'd quit growing up so fast!
After looking at all these pictures it got me thinking about my baptism so, so many years ago. I recently found these photos and scrapped a page about it. What is with my crazy hair? Yikes!
The journaling reads:
I don’'t remember a lot about my baptism but I do remember a few things: I can remember getting
interviewed by the Bishop in California and being really excited to be the first child in my family to get baptized and a little scared; how I waited a whole month after my birthday so I could be baptized in Colorado with Granny and Papa; how my Dad baptized me and then Papa confirmed me; how I got to go to my favorite place in the whole world after the baptism and invite one friend to go with me - Baskin Robbins! I also got to choose ANYTHING I wanted so I chose a bubblegum ice cream sundae with hot fudge, caramel, and pineapple. Quite the combination! I may not remember all the details from that day, but I know I made the right decision that has put me on the path I am on today, a path that I hope my children will follow. I'm so grateful for good parents who taught me correct principles and helped me to make the choice to be baptized and become a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I can't imagine what my life we be without it!
Well, that pretty much sums up the baptism. Someday I might actually get to the Colorado trip or the Beaver's Bend trip, but I also need to do back to school now. I think I will just be behind forever! Aaaaah!




6 comments:
Hahaha... we all had pretty crazy hair back in the day. Cute page. We're so glad we could be there for Maddie's special day. She looked so pretty (and grown up!) in her white dress. Hopefully my boys will be a little less wild by the time Riley get baptized!
Duh, I do know how to spell Ryley's name :)
Such a neat day. Thanks for letting us be part of it! (and sorry Jake threw up right by the food- I'm so embarrassed!)Fun to have you over today!
Don't worry about it Hillary! I didn't even know about "the incident" until after the whole thing was over and my brother in law was pulling out his carpet cleaning machine (he's a carpet cleaner) to clean it up real quick. Shows you how clueless I was - I was standing right there serving cake almost the whole night and was completely oblivious! These things just happen. Ryley puked during the sacrament a couple of years ago. We had just said amen to the blessing on the bread and then EVERYONE IN THE CHAPEL heard him barf. It seriously echoed throughout the chapel. Talk about embarassing!
What a great day! She looks so much like you!! It's amazing how fast the time goes! Great cake btw.
So glad we got to see it in Person. I've got some pics I should e-mail...you'll have to edit them...I'm WAY behind on that, and they're more of the "happenings after the baptism"...but I'm e-mail them anyways. she's beautiful!
Post a Comment