First of all, how in the heck did 10 years pass by so quickly?!!!!! I seriously cannot believe she's 10! I love that she's turning into this beautiful young lady but I'm really not ready for this.
For her birthday, Maddie asked for a new American Girl Doll. She has been asking for one for over a year. I was hesitant at first given the price of one, but Grandma had found one at a garage sale a few years ago and given it to Maddie and she TREASURED that doll. She named her Alana and took very good care of her and played with her all the time. But, poor Alana has seen better days - especially her hair. A lot of it has fallen out and it is very tangled. I think the previous owner must have tried to curl it with a curling iron or blow dry it or something because it looks very melted. But that has never deterred Maddie. She and Grandma spent a lot of time together making clothes for Alana and shopping for her. Alana went everywhere with Maddie and Maddie wanted a friend for Alana, so off we went down to Dallas to the American Girl Doll store.
She did not stop smiling the entire time we were there!
They have their historical girls (for each time period - Victorian, Hippie, 20's, etc.) and then they have the "My American Girl" dolls. These come in every shade and lots of different hair, eye color and even freckles choices so that you can make it look very similar to you if you want. That's what Maddie wanted so she picked out a new doll and named her Elizabeth.
Poor Alana was already on the outs, relegated to the top of the stroller while Elizabeth was cuddled all the way back to the car. :)
Maddie had even saved her own money to buy something at the store. She ended up buying a pair of shoes for the girls.
Granny also gave Maddie some material leftovers to make some more clothes for the dolls and so far she and I have made one dress and a headband. Now, I don't sew well. It frustrates me to no end but this went amazingly well! Apparently I sew much better when I don't have to follow a pattern. The dress isn't anything special but it was much better than anything I ever made in Home Ec! Ha!
This is the year for friend parties so Maddie got to have one too. She wanted to have an Artsy Party so she invited a bunch of friends over and the painted with acrylics on canvas, watercolored their names and decorated their own cupcakes. They had lots of fun being silly and playing Hide and Seek after all the crafts.
Here's the cupcake Maddie decorated:
We also had a little combined party for Maddie and Ben with Granny and Pops before they left for Colorado. Granny made her an ice cream pie!
We also had her favorite dinner, chicken alfredo and invited Grandma and Grandpa over on her actual birthday. She ended up getting a lot of cute outfits for the dolls and tons of arts and crafts supplies from all her friends. I think it was a very happy birthday week! We sure love this girl.




2 comments:
I can't believe she's 10 either! What a fun age! Sounds like a great birthday week!
Wha a fun birthday. I'm sure she'll remember it forever. We need to see pictures of the clothes you made for the doll....
Post a Comment