Shabby Miss Jenn

Tuesday, June 04, 2013

Utah-Wyoming, Part II

This is the real reason we went up to Wyoming.  

Wyoming-15

Miss Whit was being baptized!  We had also never to been to Wyoming or Josh and Mandy's house so we jumped at the chance.  They were so kind and even let us stay in their guest room.  :)  It was fun to see them and hang out with everyone.  Both sets of grandparents were there along with a couple of the Great's and various other cousins, aunts, uncles, etc.  Miss Whitney is so precious and I'm so glad we got to share in her special day.  

After the baptism we all hung out and had some yummy smoked brisket that Josh made.  We had quite the spread!

On Sunday, Josh (my husband, lest you are confused!) and I woke up early and snuck into some other ward's Sacrament Meeting at 9 a.m.  (Josh and Mandy go at 11.)  We snuck out of there as soon as Josh was done bearing his testimony.  Josh REALLY wanted to drive up to the Grand Tetons since we were so close and this was the only time we could squeeze it in.  

Wyoming-16

It was well worth getting up a little extra early.  Spring had not yet sprung in the great white North so we couldn't really do any hikes or anything and it was definitely a little chilly, but I think the snowcapped mountains were the perfect way to view them.  

Wyoming-17

Wyoming-18

We ended up driving in a big circle in front of the Tetons and found a couple of lakes.  The first one we came to that wasn't far off the main road (and that was actually open) was Jackson Lake.  

It looked like it was almost completely iced over and just beginning to melt near the shores.  But when we pulled off to getting a closer look Josh had to throw a couple of rocks in (of course - BOYS!) and it was actually all slush.  

Wyoming-20

We drove over a dam to get to the parking lot and the above picture was on the right.  This was on the left.  We trek through several feet of snow to get even this close!  

Wyoming-19

Back to the other side of the road. . .

Wyoming-22

The drive back through the park on the way home ended up being even better because we were much closer to the mountains. 

Wyoming-23

We never did get to see the very top of the main peak.  The clouds never moved off.  

Wyoming-24

Josh talked me into trying to hike a trail. There was snow in the parking lot and snow covering the entire trail.  I knew he wouldn't be appeased unless we at least tried one so we did.  My feet were soaked and freezing by the time we got back.  Not to mention my backside after falling in the snow. . . We actually only made it to this little wooden bridge before I told him - enough!

Wyoming-28

He is definitely in his element up here.  

Wyoming-29

Wyoming-30

Wyoming-25

 

This was the view from my side of the car as we were driving back.

Wyoming-26

And out the windshield: 

Wyoming-27

We drove through Jackson Hole each way and I was surprised at how small it is!  I thought it would be much bigger.  It was a pretty cool little town though.  

We made it back to Afton and hung out with all the family that was left in town for a little bit longer.  Josh had fun scaring the little kids - especially Tyler.  I think we may have traumatized him though as he was terrified to go to sleep that night.  (Sorry, Josh and Mandy!)  

On Monday we packed up and got back in the car bright and early for the drive back to Salt Lake City.  Josh really liked the views in Cache Valley and wanted to hang out there for a little bit.  We ended up walking the grounds of the Logan Temple.  This temple is one of only a few that doesn't have a statue of Moroni.  

Wyoming-31

 Josh insisted on getting pictures of me so I guess I'll post them - just for posterity.  

Wyoming-32

 

We left Wyoming pretty early so that we could have some more time at Temple Square before our flight back to DFW.  We started out at the North Visitors Center.  At this point I was missing the kids quite a bit, and I really wished they could have been there for this.  

Wyoming-33

 

The Temple Grounds are beautiful this time of year!

Wyoming-34

More pictures of the temple. . . the sky wasn't near as pretty as it was the first day we were there though.  

Wyoming-35

We found someone to take our picture so we could both be in the picture!

Wyoming-37

We got some lunch at the mall downtown and picked up some gifts for the kids and then made our way over to the Church History Museum.  They had an awesome exhibit of art from a contest they had for the youth.  I really wished Maddie had been able to see that.  She would have loved it!

After getting lost a few times (the streets are so confusing there!) we finally made it back to the airport and made it home to Dallas around midnight.  It was a fun trip and I'm glad we got a little time together before life changes forever in a few months.  :)

No comments: