Shabby Miss Jenn

Saturday, October 18, 2014

Catching Up . . . Again

This should just be the title of all my blog posts!  So, A LOT has changed in our world over the past few months.  First of all, we moved.  Again.  Within a year of the last move.  GAAAAH!  Yeah, it’s been a little bit crazy.  We’re so happy now though that it has made everything all worth it.  

When we decided to move out of our house in Allen we had no doubts that it was the right thing to do.  We also had no doubts that moving to Lucas was the right decision either.  Once we got there though it just never felt like home.  I kept waiting for it to feel like home.  I thought for sure it would feel like home once we walked in the door back from 3 1/2 weeks in China, but that never happened. I  don’t think we made the wrong decision in moving to Lucas, but we both definitely felt like it was just a stopping place.  And that’s what it was. 

It was super fun getting the house ready for showings every day and packing everything up AGAIN (said no one ever!)  It was seriously the longest month of my life and so stressful.  I really didn’t want to move at all because I knew it would be very difficult showing the house with six children who are home all day every day.  Josh had to talk me into it - big time.  Our sweet realtor, Karen, came over and helped pack a bunch of stuff and got the house all ready for showings though so that helped TONS.  Keeping the house clean for showings was hard but it was mostly maintaining it after Karen came through and fixed it all up for us.  Funny story - I was getting ready one morning and decided to paint my toenails since we didn’t have a showing scheduled for that day and I thought I had some extra time.  So I go borrow some nail polish from Maddie and as I’m walking back into my bathroom I was shaking up the nail polish and the bottle totally flew out of my hand.  Onto the tile floor.  Where the glass bottle shattered and splattered NEON GREEN nail polish all over the bathroom floor and bathtub.  As if that’s not awesome enough, my phone rang right then.  Yep, it’s CSS asking for a showing in a freaking hour!  We were absolutely desperate to sell this house and get out of it so I didn’t want to say no.  I ended up using an entire bottle of nail polish remover (and was probably a little high from the fumes by the time I was done) but I managed to clean it all up and get everyone out of the house in time.  Needless to say my toenails remained naked.  I’m pretty sure there was a tearful phone call to Josh in there somewhere too.  Thank heavens for Maddie who helped pack everyone and everything up while I was frantically cleaning the floor.  

We had the worst luck with open houses too - awful weather and one of them was Super Bowl Sunday.  But we were in a time crunch after finding the house in Melissa and needed to do everything possible to sell the Lucas house quickly. It ended up taking a month to sell it but everything worked out.  Once we found the house in Melissa I was totally on board with moving.  It was so perfect for us.  The kids were all pretty helpful with packing too.  

kids-1

kids-2

I do miss my big stairway wall though.  I tried to recreate it on a smaller scale at the new house but it’s just not the same.  Oh well, totally worth the trade-off!

kids-3

We hired some movers once we sold the house and managed to get everything moved to the new house in a couple of days.  We woke up on a Sunday morning with boxes everywhere and not certain about where anything was feeling like this was HOME.  Finally!!!!  I don’t have any pictures of the new house but everyone who has been here says the same thing - “This reminds me of the Lucas house!”  The downstairs layout, especially at the entry is very similar.  The big difference at this house is there is only one bedroom, one bath and a game room upstairs.  All the other bedrooms and baths are downstairs.  So that means the boys’ and girls’ rooms are really close to ours.  SO much easier in the middle of the night!  Plus they can play with the toys in the their rooms all day long and it helps keep them occupied during school time too.  The kitchen is totally open to the living room downstairs too so that is another plus.  We still have a dining room that we use as the school room (and we have our trusty chalkboard wall again) along with an office and piano room with doors!  The backyard isn’t huge but it fits the playhouse and trampoline with some room to spare so that’s all we really need.  It has been SO perfect.  The ward up here in Melissa has been good too.  There are several members in our subdivision, including the nicest couple right across the street.  There are several other homeschooling families in this ward and quite a few with older kids too, which has been awesome for Maddie.  We have a neighborhood pool and park but best of all we have sidewalks again so the kids can go ride bikes and play outside on our very quiet street without worry.  

After moving even farther away from Allen, I’m so grateful that we moved to Lucas for a little while.  It really helped ease the transition away from our friends and everything that we had grown used to.  Being up in Melissa is technically farther away it really doesn’t seem that much farther since it’s a straight shot down the highway back to Allen.  We still have our PE class, violin lessons, doctors, and piano lessons down in Allen so we’re there quite a bit, not to mention Josh’s office.  

I guess that’s enough for one post.  I’ll keep trying to catch up in some more posts.  I’ve finally gotten all the pictures edited and uploaded so hopefully it will be sooner rather than later!

No comments: